1. IN UEFI/BIOS MENUhttp://5thpeephole.blogspot.com.es/2013/10/install-ubuntu-1310-in-asus-n550jv.html
- Disable Secure Boot
- Disable Fast Boot (do not enable Legacy mode or CSM mode)
- (In Windows 8.1) Disable Fast Startup (under Power settings)
- (back at the UEFI menu) Change the boot order to boot from DVD. I didn't manage to boot from USB at all.
2. INSTALL UBUNTU IN UEFI MODEhttps://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
- Start Ubuntu from the LiveDVD and install Ubuntu normally. When the installer asks for HDD partitioning, choose manual and make sure that the efi partition is automatically recognized (likewise the swap one).
- Didn't need to do anything special for GRUB although at the time of installing Ubuntu, a frightnening message appeared saying that no other OS was detected. It came out-of-the-box. Windows partition is named "Windows Boot Manager"
3. DRIVERS NVIDIA GEFORCE 750Mhttp://askubuntu.com/questions/348614/bumblebee-on-ubuntu-13-04-with-geforce-750m-and-driver-319
- Fresh Ubuntu boot did not suceed due to Nvidia drivers. Had to start in recovery mode but ot didn't work either. Eventually I got to boot and start the graphics card, but I didn't do anything special. The rest of the drivers, worked fine (audio without subwoofer)
- Once logged:
sudo apt-get install bumblebee primus primus-libs-ia32:i386 linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia nvidia-319 nvidia-settings-319
4. KEYBOARD FN BUTTONShttp://askubuntu.com/questions/293970/default-keyboard-brightness-is-not-working
- Modify GRUP parameters (/etc/default/grub)
Added "acpi_osi=" in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="
- Edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
At the end of it, add:
options snd-hda-intel patch=,alsa/n550-bass
- Add an audio mapping in /usr/share/puseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/extra-hdmi.conf:
device-strings = surround40:%f
channel-map = front-left,front-right,lfe,lfe
paths-output = analog-output analog-output-speaker
priority = 7
direction = output
- Change PULSE configuration in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf to look like
default-sample-channels = 3
#; default-sample-channels = 2
enable-lfe-remixing = yes
- Some posts suggest changing audio setting to enable 2.1 (in the "Sound" system settings), but I didnt do it and it worked just fine.